Thursday, April 16, 2015

3 Thoughts on US vs. Mexico (#DosaCero)

1. A “C” Team?
I keep hearing (from Mexico fans, of course) that we played their “C” team last night, and I’m tired of it; here’s why:

1. I’m fairly positive nobody can name 22 Mexican players who should have started over every Mexican who played last night. If you can, I’ll be more than happy to rescind my argument, until then, we might as well say that the US played with their “E” team or something like that because, hey, we don’t need anything to back it up with right? Excuses…

2. While we’re on that subject, the US was far from full strength as well. The only two players I can see being on a full strength side who would, say, play in a World Cup qualifier are Diskerud and Bradley. MAYBE Yedlin and MAYBE Gonzalez, but they didn’t even get consistent minutes at the World Cup last year, in fact, neither did Diskerud. In addition, our team was VASTLY domestically based, just as the Mexicans say their team was.

3. In the end, IT DOESN’T MATTER! We beat Mexico. That’s the bottom line. The game wasn’t an official FIFA date, so European clubs were never going to agree to release their best players, but both teams agreed to play this match, nobody forced them. Herrera was perfectly welcome to field whatever players he wanted to, and those are the ones he chose, and Klinnsman chose his guys. We won.


2. The Kid from Stanford

When the starting lineups were released before the game started, I texted my friend these exact words: “WHY ARE WE STARTING A COLLEGE PLAYER?!?!?!?!?!” I’ll be the first to admit when I’m wrong, but I don’t think I am (big surprise huh?) and here’s why: Jordan Morris wasn’t really that good. He was in the right place at the right time and, yes, that takes a striker’s instinct, and when the ball fell to him he finished. I’ll give him that. But I think the fact that in the post-game review show the only other highlights they could show of his entire game was him sprinting down the sideline twice only to get the ball taken away speaks to the reality that he really didn’t do much else. Strikers need to play the front line, holding the ball up and creating chances, and I just didn’t see him doing that. Keep in mind that I really like the kid, and I hope the best for him, I just wonder if the senior side is the best place for him.

Why are we starting an amateur in a professional game? I’m all for growing our youth talent, but isn’t that what the U-21 team is for? Again, well done to the kid. I can’t even imagine how that must have felt to score a goal in a game of that magnitude (regardless of it being a friendly, US vs. Mexico is ALWAYS a big game) with the odds, and the world for that matter, slated against you. I just think we shouldn’t get too hasty. The tragic case of Freddy Adu comes to mind…


3. The Defense Finally got it Right


The stat before the game was: In the last 15 games, we conceded a total of 15 goals in the last 15 minutes of those games. We got through arguably our biggest game of the year, with an away crowd (although in a technically “home” stadium) with not only a win, but a clean sheet, which I think is the larger story. I have nothing but praise for Gonzalez and Alvarado teaming in the back line. I also think Beckerman put in a typically hard-working shift shielding the center backs.
Not only did they not concede, Rimando and Yarbrough had very little to do the whole game, AND the characteristic blunders and close calls were hard to find from our defense. Yes, it’s one game, but it’s a start. What I hope to see from Klinnsman now is building on that progress, instead of mixing it up again. But, for now, #DosaCero is a pretty good feeling.


Joga Bonito


Dallin

No comments:

Post a Comment